(1) Where are you from and how would you like to be identified?
Raleigh North Carolina
Trail name: Finn
(2) Thinking back to your “day-1 self,” what is going through your mind at the start?
It’s really early. I’m tired. I already want to take a nap. This pack is insanely heavy and I’ve only had it on 10 minutes.
(3) Do you feel ready?
Yes, as ready as I can be.
(4) What are you most afraid of?
Not being able to do this physically. Not being able to carry the weight of the pack, not being able to walk all day every day. Letting my hiking partner down.
(5) What are you most confident about?
My determination to complete the entire trail.
(6) Does anybody not want you to go?
No, but I didn’t really tell anyone that I was going.
(7) What made you decide to take this hike?
I feel like I need something like this to help me clear my mind. Stress, work, personal issues, it’s not healthy to worry about things as much as I do. And I’m unsure if I’m making the right decisions in life. So, if I spend five months doing nothing but walking I should be able to sort some of that out.
(8) What do you expect to get from it?
Abs, hopefully. But also clarity, peace, fulfillment.
(9) Have you ever done anything like this before?
(10) What have you done to prepare?
Not much. Me and my hiking partner would do day hikes on the AT but I’ve slept in a tent a grand total of one time before starting this.
(11) What are you looking forward to the most?
Spending five months with my best friend.
Now answer from the present:
(12) When/where did you leave the trail?
Canadian border on October 1st
(13) What caused you to leave the trail?
I completed my thru hike.
(14) Would you like to add anything else?
If I could I would get on a plane right now and go hike it again. It was the best five months of my life. I became physically and mentally strong. I smiled and laughed every single day. I stood in awe of the things I got to see. I felt incredibly lucky every single day that I was out there. I miss it terribly.