(1) Where are you from?
(2) What day did you start?
03 May 2018
(3) What day did you finish?
05 Oct 2018 (had 12 days off trail with family of my hiking partner)
(4) Do you have a trail name?
(5) If so, where did it come from?
Liked my Whiskey when in town and with Gremlins who you do not give water after midnight, you do not give me whiskey anytime or I become drunk rude and rowdy!
(6) What did you dream of when things weren’t going well?
Finishing at the northern terminus
(7) Did you experience anything miraculous?
Survived a bad snowstorm on the knifes edge, goat rocks. Completing the PCT as I have many issues- arthritis, two knee surgeries in the two years prior, feet and back issues and pain.
(8) Any memorable encounters with the elements, or wildlife?
As prior - the snowstorm in the Goat Rocks area. Saw a mother bear and her cubs on the road from Holden Village to the Lake Chelan ferry. A few close encounters with rattle snakes.
(9) Think back to your “pre-hike self.” Now think of yourself here at the end. Has anything changed?
I feel much calmer and feel more in control. Others have noted my more relaxed state. Am less concerned about the ‘little’ things.
(10) Now that you are off the trail, what do you miss most about it? The trail community. The challenges. Not knowing what the next day will bring-love being surprised
(11) Before you started, what were you most afraid of?
Being forced, through pain (because of my physical issues), to stop the hike. Fear of failing in my quest.
(12) Now that you are finished, what are you most afraid of?
My issues will prevent me from doing any future hikes as challenging as this one.
(13) What’s the difference between life on the trail and life off the trail?
For me, vastly different, as I work a very busy office job and am in front of a computer all day, every day. Physically feel crap off trail as the body is not active but for a short time each day (except for the weekends). The trail community just does not exist in an off trail environment. Miss that.
(14) Would you like to add anything else?
If there is any way, through this ‘forum’ I would like to thank the many many people and trail angles who assisted me and my hiking partner along the trail. They are truly amazing and , in turn, made our journey so much more amazing