1. Where are you from and how would you like to be identified?
I'm from Dallas.
2. Thinking back to your “day-1 self,” what is going through your mind at the start?
I was most nervous about meeting people and making new friends.
3. Do you feel ready?
I felt ready enough. I knew that there was more I could have done, but I would definitely be able to do it.
4. What are you most afraid of?
I was a bit afraid of not finishing because that would be embarrassing. Danger wise I was afraid most about sketchy people in town and hitchhiking and snow.
5. What are you most confident about?
I was confident about my mental state, I had experience with long distance hiking, so I knew what I was getting myself into.
6. Does anybody not want you to go?
My mom will miss me and worry about me a lot, but she is really happy for me too.
7. What made you decide to take this hike?
I saw a video on youtube about 4 years ago.
8. What do you expect to get from it?
Lots of beautiful pictures, and stories and bragging rights and new friends.
9. Have you ever done anything like this before?
Two solo month long trips.
10. What have you done to prepare?
Researched my gear, being generally fit, but I didn't train all that much.
11. What are you looking forward to the most?
The Sierras will be beautiful.
12. When/where did you leave the trail?
Manning Park, BC, October 1st
13. What caused you to leave the trail?
There was nowhere else to walk :P
14. Would you like to add anything else?
I've got a lot of post-trail depression right now. Life lacks beauty and meaning and purpose and excitement...