(1) Where are you from?
I am from East Longmeadow, MA
(2) What day did you start?
I started March 29th
(3) What day did you finish?
I finished October 5th
(4) Do you have a trail name?
Yes my trail name is Wreckit
(5) If so, where did it come from?
It came from the fact that in the desert I broke everything. I broke almost every piece of gear except for my titanium cook pot and had to do a lot of on trail repairs.
(6) What did you dream of when things weren’t going well?
I dreamed of eating my mothers home cooked food and of standing at the Northern Terminus. I really tried to visualize myself standing there victorious.
(7) Did you experience anything miraculous?
The most miraculous thing I experienced was the trail community. While I was planning this trip I never thought I was going to meet so many amazing people. The other hikers and trail angels along the way showed me there is still a lot of good in the world.
(8) Any memorable encounters with the elements, or wildlife?
The day after crossing the LA aqueduct my trail family and I were taking a siesta under the one tree we could find. We were lined up like sardines trying to get some shade, when my friend Slow Mo woke up and tried to quietly get our attention. He had a 6 foot rattlesnake on top of his chest. Thankfully he had nerves of steel and stayed calm until the snake decided to move on, because we were all within striking distance.
(9) Think back to your “pre-hike self.” Now think of yourself here at the end. Has anything changed?
A lot has changed but I am still generally the same person, just the best version of myself. I am more confident, patient, understanding and less anxious than I was before the hike.
(10) Now that you are off the trail, what do you miss most about it?
I miss the pure freedom of being on trail. There were no responsibilities other than putting one step in front of the other and enjoying the wilderness around you. I also miss all the amazing people I met in trail and the hiker trash lifestyle.
(11) Before you started, what were you most afraid of?
I was most afraid of getting an injury. I knew that the chances of getting injured in some way was pretty high. I did end up getting achilles tendinitis which took me off trail for almost a month.
(12) Now that you are finished, what are you most afraid of?
I am afraid that I will never be that happy again.
(13) What’s the difference between life on the trail and life off the trail?
The biggest difference between life on trail and life off trail is that off trail every day is much like the other.